As you are lining up, ready to walk down the aisle, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- For a traditional American ceremony, the ladies stand on the left side (when looking at the alter as a guest) and the gentlemen on the right side. Make sure the bridal party walks down the aisle in the same way, with the men standing on the right side of the women. This makes for a smooth transition when the bridal party parts ways at the alter.
- Make sure your groomsmen empty their pockets. Phones, keys, wallets, cigars, sunglasses and more. Make sure it is all out of those pockets because it is very obvious in photos later on. As I line up the bridal party in those final moments, I make sure to collect all personal items in a bag for the men to get back after the ceremony ends! They may not be happy about it in the moment, but I promise you will thank me when you do not see weird bulges in all your wedding photos.
- Adjust the placement of your bouquet and all your bridesmaids’ bouquets. If it doesn’t feel awkwardly low while you are holding it, you are doing it wrong. The last thing you want is for your bouquet to block your pretty face when walking down the aisle.
- Tip for our gentlemen – when bending your arm for your bridesmaid to hook on to, place your hand in a fist with your thumb over your bellybutton. It creates the perfect angle & makes your groomsmen all look uniform.
- NO GUM! This seems like an easy one, but you would be shocked how many times I have made the groom spit out his gum seconds before walking down the aisle. Mints for the win, but leave the gum at home.
- Have someone fluff your dress before making your big appearance & take a big deep breathe!
- SMILE! As a coordinator, I always try to make the bridal party laugh before walking down the aisle. It makes for genuine smiles and the best pictures!
Remember to space out each pair evenly and give enough time for the bridal song to begin playing before exiting your hiding spot. With these tips, your bridal party will look like pros & your photos will be AMAZING! Happy Wedding Day!